Monday, May 14, 2007

Garlic in Olive Oil

Here's a great idea I got from Donna Gates' Body Ecology Diet.

If you're like me, and always cooking with both garlic and olive oil, you spend a lot of time every day peeling and pressing fresh garlic. I don't like to buy those little jars of already crushed garlic in the grocery stores, because I just don't feel they're as fresh, and sometimes they contain preservatives.

But you can make ahead of time your own version of garlic olive oil so that you will always have on hand crshed garlic when you're ready to cook. And it's extremely easy to do with a stick blender.

Ingredients:

2 bulbs garlic (whole bulbs, not just cloves)
2 cups olive oil

Directions:

Peel your garlic bulbs and place in the bottom of a wide-mouth quart jar. Place your stick blender on top of the cloves and process until creamy.

Pour the olive oil on top of the processed garlic, and again using the stick blender, process until garlic and oil are well-blended.

Cover your jar and keep in a handy place by the stove ready for use.

I'm not sure how long this will keep, as I use mine up before it goes bad. Also, I found a 6-cup coffee carafe with a wide mouth, lid and spout at my local thrift store that is perfect for making and storing my garlic olive oil. Having that spout really helps with pouring.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...