Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Squash & Carrot Tarator

My it's been forever since I updated this blog! I got busy with writing, work, and other projects and sort of let this slide.

But recently I've been very into fermenting.  Uh, not me...milk.  I had access to fresh milk and started making cheese for the first time as well as revisiting other milk ferments I used to do frequently, like kefir and yogurt.  So, I decided it was about time that I start sharing again.

Today, however, I'm not starting with a cheese but with a Turkish meze dish my husband made the other night for the first time, and I've been so in love with it that I've made it three times since.  And it's easy!  All it is is sauteed vegetables with yogurt-garlic sauce.

I'm sure there's lots of variations, but here's how he did it:

Ingredients:

onion - 2 small or 1 large, minced
garlic - about 6 cloves, pressed or finely chopped
carrot - 4-5, finely grated
zucchini - 3-4, finely shredded
olive oil - 1/3 - 1/2 cup
salt - couple of teaspoons
plain yogurt - about 2 cups (or more)

Directions:

Basically, you just saute the vegetables until soft, let them cook, then mix them with an abundance of yogurt-garlic sauce.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet, then add the onion and let cook a few mins.  Add garlic and cook another minute more, then add chopped/shredded carrots and the zucchini.  Let them all cook together until soft, about 20 - 25 mins.

Remove from heat and let cool.  In the meanwhile you can mix up a batch of yogurt-garlic sauce which is a few minced garlic cloves and about a teaspoon of salt mixed in 2-3 cups of plain yogurt (the best you can get! or make!)

When the veges are cool, mix with the sauce, let sit a bit or cook in the fridge.  This is a meze which is typically served before meals, but I love it so much that I've been making it as a side-dish and a snack to have any time.

Here's a picture of a tarator someone else made just with carrots to give you and idea of the mix of veges to yogurt: Havuc Tarator

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...