Monday, December 26, 2011

Gluten Free, Low Sugar Date Nut Balls

Here's a recipe from my childhood that I updated to my new health standards.  The recipe was always gluten free, but by using coconut sugar with its lower glycemic index (35 compared to table sugar at 80), I was able to make it a refined-sugar-free treat.  (Note that it still contains natural sugars in the dates, coconut sugar, and coconut.)

As a child, my mother and I made these every year as a special Christmas gift for my Great-Aunt Sophie, who loved them.  After she died, we went several years without making them at all.  I recently began shopping at a new Mid-East store where I can get dates quite cheap, so decided to try this recipe again and update it.

My kids LOVED it!  The first batch got gobbled up so quickly.  And I was able to share them in Christmas goody bags as well.  I think even Aunt Sophie would approve.

I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz dates, pitted and chopped
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup coconut (palm) sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
  • If you opt for less sugar, you may want to supplement with 4 tiny scoops stevia (using the scooper inside, or whatever 4 servings is of your choice of stevia)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup nuts (I used walnuts, but use your favorite)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 2 cups puffed rice (preferably brown rice w/ no added sugar!)
  • plus about 2 tablespoons each of the coconut and coconut sugar mixed together to roll balls in

Directions:

Combine the dates, butter, coconut sugar, and stevia (optional) in a pot and cook on medium until the butter melts and the mixture begins to boil.  Stirring constantly, cook the mixture 4 minutes more.  Remove from heat.

In the pot, add the vanilla, chopped nuts, and coconut and stir to combine.  Cool for a few minutes.  Add the puffed rice and stir.

While the mixture is warm enough to work with, but not so hot to the touch, form the mixture into small balls and roll in the coconut/coco sugar mixture.  You may want to coat your hands with a bit of butter for the rolling.

Makes about 3 dozen, depending on the size of your balls.  Store these in an airtight container...if they make it that long!


Also, for any writer or Harry Potter fans among you, I'm offering a free book on Kindle through Dec. 28 -- The Boy Who Lived Comes to Die, a literary analysis of the final chapters of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for writers and fans.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...