Monday, June 04, 2007

Chocolate Bark

I discovered the idea for this recipe on The Coconut Diet's website a few months ago, and was thrilled that I didn't have to give up chocolate to go sugar free (and synthetic sweetener free as well). Since then, I've played with the original recipe a lot and figured out ways to make it even better.

I make a large batch of chocolate bark at the time and keep it in my freezer. One, this aides me in getting in the coconut oil daily that is recommended in Sally Fallon's Eat Fat, Lose Fat. Second, I always have my "safe" chocolate available when I have a chocolate attack.

The basic recipe is just the coconut oil, cocoa powder, and stevia. All the rest can be played with and varied depending on your particular favorite chocolate bar combo.

I added the cayenne in after I watched Chocolat with Johnny Depp. Now I wouldn't make it without the cayenne. Use enough to give it zing, but not enough to overpower the chocolate.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups virgin coconut oil
  • 6 well-rounded tbsp cocoa powder, or freshly crushed cocoa nibs
  • stevia to taste (about 1 1/2 tsp of the white, or a few shakes of the white stevia and 1 1/2 tsp of the green herbal stevia)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (I've also played with alcohol free flavorings and found lemon and almond to be very good)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne


"Goodies" to sprinkle on bottom of pan, add any combo of these to taste:
  • goji berries
  • roasted or dried nuts, I particularly like pecans
  • shredded, dried coconut
  • cocoa nibs
  • raisins
  • whatever your heart desires


Directions:

Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes a metal cookie sheet (with sides) or a couple of glass large baking pans. I also line my cookie sheet with wax paper. You'll need to have a flat space reserved in your freezer so the chocolate will form level.

Warm the coconut oil gently to liquid form. Add in the cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla, and cayenne. Stir with a fork and blend well.

Sprinkle any of your goodies on the bottom of your cold pan, then pour the chocolate mixture over top and level off.

Put it in your freezer for at least 10 minutes. Then remove, pull the chocolate carefully off the wax paper, break it into snack-sized portions, put into a large plastic bag, and return to storage in the freezer.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...